Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Citrus in December


For years and years my parents stuffed the same item in the bottom of my sister, brothers, and my stocking - the biggest red apple they could find, the biggest orange they could find, and peanuts. I LOVED that fruit in the bottom of the stocking, and somehow that love morphed into a tradition with me and my family. Now, I am aware as an adult that part of the reason behind stuffing fruit in the bottom of the stocking was to take up space with things that were healthy and less expensive, but regardless of that fact I still have the need to purchase fruit at Christmastime and place one of each in the stockings of my loved ones. I'm excited this year to go to the grocery store and search for just that particular piece of fruit that will proclaim from the depths of a very long and deep stocking just exactly how deep my love and caring extends for each and every recipient of fruit in my family.

On that same note, however, it does strike me as amusing that citrus ripens in December. What an odd thing to have such delectable fruit ripen when the year has turned its head and heart toward cold and crisp air. I find it ironic that it is during a season which symbolizes death that the citrus trees finally produce their year long effort.

I live in the Southwest, and I have a citrus tree in my backyard. Did you know that citrus trees start putting on flowers for the next season even before the fruit of their tree fully ripens? Citrus trees are such valiant givers - even now as I type my tree in the backyard is blooming its fool head off while at the same time heavily laden with this years fruit. It is a thing to behold. Actually, the vigor and gumption that the citrus tree greets its life burden is a heartening thing in my mind - it is no small thing to greet life's next major burden whilst still bearing the previous burden. I wonder how many of us realize that we are as valiant as a citrus tree? That we are bearing fruit and burdens all in the same moment? Just a thought to ponder.

On a lighter note, this is also one of my favorite times of year BECAUSE the citrus are ripe for the picking. One thing that happens in my neighborhood every year that gives me a grin are the mischievous pranks that the school children embark on using that very citrus that has taken a year to produce. Around this time of year the children use that fruit as interesting decoration to fences, selves, and streets. Oh the fun they contrive! I admit I grin when I see the children cavorting on the side of the road with their citrus ammunition. They pelt each other with sweet smelling ammunition and laugh while their prey run the other way. They line the street with a straight line of fruit and give each other high 5's when a car runs over more than one of the proffered sacrificial fruit. They peel the fruit with wild abandonment and stuff the rinds down one another's shirts. All the above is in good fun and lends an atmosphere to the entire season of the sweetness and freshness of youth.

Now, I know some who are distraught with the "mess" in which such fruit frolicking results, but how I wish those distraught souls could come to the happier side of the observing table! It is a great thing to be young and a fruit flinger!

And that is what I have to say about citrus in December.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was DEEP! And very well written. I am, of course, not surprised at all seeing as how you are an English professor. By the way, why were you blogging before 4:00am?!

Leslie said...

Stacy, I have taken a page out of your book and have taken to blogging/working at all hours of the day or night - just whenever a thought occurs. Since I have turned 40 my thoughts more and more turn to thinking in the wee hours of the morning...much to my chagrin. How I yearn to have an entire night without a sleep interruption!

And...thanks for the "deep" comment - I think you are deep as well (grin on my face).

Leslie said...

This comment was sent to me in a personal email - and I wanted to leave it here so I could capture the beautiful words of a sweet friend. Here is what she said (Miss K): I went onto your blog site and instantly I smiled. It was familiar, comforting and intriguing all at once. I know you...but I don't know all of you. (yet)

But what I do know is amazing, wonderful and someone I want to be a part of.

My mom stopped by while I was writing you this email and I tried so hard to share with her how I felt about you in Vietnamese.

But I failed.

I wanted to use big fancy words in Vietnamese to describe your beautiful orange tree story, instead the 3rd grader in me came out and this is what it sounded like:

I have a teacher, I love my teacher because she has an orange tree. Oranges are great in the winter. Kids throw oranges in the street. Bad kids, no wait...not so bad kids...just having fun with oranges in the street.

I felt like I didn't do you just...I shorted you some change...I'm a bad person.

But the point of the story is that I enjoyed reading your story. Can't wait to read more. Thank you for sharing that.